Castle Duncan Forums: Cassilis Castle - Castle Duncan Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cassilis Castle Magnificent Scottish castle with fishing for sale Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ipflo 

• Group: Castle Enthusiasts
  • My Own Research
  • I'm a castle enthusiast
  • Other castle related org.
  • Web site

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

I have read that Cassilis castle is for sale now. Does some one know more about this castle or has some nice pics?

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/news/property...d_for_sale.html

thx,

ipflo

Cassilis Castle is a category A listed property dating back to the 13th century. Immensely historic, the castle has been owned by the Kennedy family the famed 'Kings of Carrick' since it was built. The original structure was added to for the 12th Earl between 1830 and 1832 and now stands as a landmark throughout the local district.

The property is laid out over five floors, and the drawing room, with its magnificent fireplace is stunning, as are the hall and dining room which also have notable fireplaces. The ballroom is almost 30ft in length and is a wonderful example of period architecture of the time, as is the library. The castle also features an original spiral staircase which was part of the original Keep of Cassillis, and is built clockwise to ensure an easy defence by a right-handed swordsman. There is also a secret staircase which was for the use of the Earl and his family only complete with sign which reads: 'Step no further master Porter!' The castle has twelve bedrooms, with nine currently in use and the original kitchen, which leads out to the castle courtyard, is currently in the (well-lit) basement and in need of some modernisation.

Cassilis Castle is a category A listed property dating back to the 13th century. Immensely historic, the castle has been owned by the Kennedy family the famed 'Kings of Carrick' since it was built. The original structure was added to for the 12th Earl between 1830 and 1832 and now stands as a landmark throughout the local district.

The property is laid out over five floors, and the drawing room, with its magnificent fireplace is stunning, as are the hall and dining room which also have notable fireplaces. The ballroom is almost 30ft in length and is a wonderful example of period architecture of the time, as is the library. The castle also features an original spiral staircase which was part of the original Keep of Cassillis, and is built clockwise to ensure an easy defence by a right-handed swordsman. There is also a secret staircase which was for the use of the Earl and his family only complete with sign which reads: 'Step no further master Porter!' The castle has twelve bedrooms, with nine currently in use and the original kitchen, which leads out to the castle courtyard, is currently in the (well-lit) basement and in need of some modernisation.

Outside are the stable blocks which comprise two properties, workshops, stores, garaging and three stables, and the West Gate lodge is a lovely period cottage standing at the gates to the castle. The Gardener's cottage has a walled garden and is on the eastern side of the entrance drive. There is one further cottage, the Kennels cottage, which benefits from a very private pretty position overlooking a pond and the river Doon.

The property also benefits from salmon fishing rights on the river 0.8 miles are double bank and an additional mile is single bank. The river Doon is the best salmon fishing river in Ayrshire, and although the river hasn't been heavily fished the catch in 2007 was still 76.

The castle is just a few miles from Prestwick airport and 42 miles from Glasgow. Ayr is about 7 miles to the north and provides a wide range of shops, supermarkets, professional services and schools, notably Wellington School which offers private co-education. The Ayrshire coast is famous for golf, with championship courses at Royal Troon, Prestwick and Turnberry. Ayr Racecourse has regular race meetings and hosts the Scottish Grand National.

The guide price is 2.5m

#2 User is offline   AJR 

• Castle Enthusiast
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Castle Enthusiasts
  • Interests:English, Welsh and Scottish Castles; Vintage Castle postcards and prints; Sleeping; Sudoku; Gardening; Isaac Asimov; Isles of Scilly; Alderney; Isles of Scilly again (and again and again)
  • My Own Research
  • I am looking for info
  • None of the above
  • Friend

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:21 AM

Thanks ipflo. You can find below the sales brochure and floorplans.
Attached File  CassilisBrochure.pdf (1.61MB)
Number of downloads: 368

Attached File  CassilisPlan.pdf (101.43K)
Number of downloads: 189
A Library is Thought in Cold Storage

#3 User is offline   Gordon 

• Group: Old Friends
  • Public School Student
  • I am looking for info
  • None of the above
  • Other

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:09 AM

From MacGibbon & Ross;
Attached File  cassillis.jpg (235K)
Number of downloads: 47

From Canmore

Archaeology Notes
NS31SW 4 34045 12819

NS31SW 4.01 34675 12957 East Gate Lodge
NS31SW 4.02 33237 12795 West Gate Lodge
NS31SW 4.03 33962 12730 Stables
NS31SW 4.04 33570 12862 Gardeners Cottage
NS31SW 4.05 34286 13000 Kennels

(NS 3404 1281) Cassillis House (NR)
OS 6" map (1958)

Cassillis House is an extensive mansion belonging to three main periods. The oldest part is a massive oblong tower dating possibly from the 14th century. In the 17th century, a square stair-tower was added at the SE and all above parapet level remodelled. Large modern extensions have been added to the SE, but in such a way as to leave the original work fairly distinct. The early castle has walls, 16ft thick at base, roughcast and rising four storeys to the parapet, abov e which is the usual garret storey. The basement is vaulted, and there is a pit or prison in the thickness of the N wall.
It is the property of the Marquis of Ailsa.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; N Tranter 1965

Cassillis House (name confirmed) is a well-preserved and considerably modernised mansion comprising a 14th- 15th century tower remodelled in the 17th century. The larger building to the SE is modern.
Visited by OS (JLD) 8 December 1955 and (RD) 10 September 1968

No change; the house i s a private residence.
Visited by OS (JRL) 17 October 1980
Architecture Notes
NMRS REFERENCE

Owner: The Marquis of Ailsa

Oldest part 1453 circa
additions 1830 circa.

CASSILLIS ESTATE OFFICE DRAWINGS
NMRS Photographic survey of drawings in Cassillis Estate Office including designs for cottages and estate buildings 1879-1907.
Co pied 1979 Inventory 93

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

SRO
Building of the house. In a letter [Sir] William Bruce urges the Earl of Cassillis to allow John Hamilton to survey the house, garden and grounds, inspect the quarries, give directions how to work them, a nd obtain timber so that it may be seasoned.

1673 GD 25/9/Box 44

SRO
Building of the house. Letter from [Sir] William Bruce. Advises on timber, has given an estimate. Wishes the D. of Hamilton to see the latest draught he has ma de for the Earl and give his opinion.

1674 GD 25/9/Box 44

SRO
Invitation from the Earl of Cassillis at Culzean to Sir Hew Dalrymple inviting him to visit *the new house at any time.

1820 RH4/57vol.V/42 *(?Cassillis House)

Stair in Entrance Lobby, FSD.
Plans: at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
References
Cuthbertson, D C (1933 )
Carrick Days
Edinburgh, 148,
Hannon, T (1928 )
'Famous Scottish Houses',
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92 )
The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries,
5v, Edinburgh, Vol.3, 131-2,
Millar, A H (1885 a)
The castles and mansions of Ayrshire illustrated in seventy views with historical and descriptive accounts,
Edinburgh,
Tranter, N (1962-70 )
'The fortified house in Scotland',
Edinburgh, Vol.3, 25-7,

#4 User is offline   Ipflo 

• Group: Castle Enthusiasts
  • My Own Research
  • I'm a castle enthusiast
  • Other castle related org.
  • Web site

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I am wondering why some one has put this castle for sale, it looks like a nice place too leave.

ipflo

#5 User is offline   Gordon 

• Group: Old Friends
  • Public School Student
  • I am looking for info
  • None of the above
  • Other

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:23 AM

Who knows, though a guide price of 2.5m seems a little on the low side given the size of the estate, however the Scottish offers over system might be responsible for that one, with a much higher achievable price expected.
The maintenance costs on these old places can be crippling, although the bumph does say that some modenisation is required in three of the bedrooms.
It could simply be a family matter, or a need to raise funds. Unless there's a press release to explain I doubt we'll ever know if the family wish it to remain private.

#6 User is offline   AJR 

• Castle Enthusiast
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Castle Enthusiasts
  • Interests:English, Welsh and Scottish Castles; Vintage Castle postcards and prints; Sleeping; Sudoku; Gardening; Isaac Asimov; Isles of Scilly; Alderney; Isles of Scilly again (and again and again)
  • My Own Research
  • I am looking for info
  • None of the above
  • Friend

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:48 AM

It was advertised for sale in the Property Section of The Daily Telegraph, on 28th June 2008. Strangely it is not named, but I recognised it from the sales particulars.

Attached File(s)

A Library is Thought in Cold Storage

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users