Skelmorlie Castle Strathclyde
Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:04 AM
Be king (or queen) of the castle - for £2.5m
A castle which was the ancient seat of Clan Montgomerie has gone on the market for offers over £2.5m. Skelmorlie Castle, on the edge of the Ayrshire village and 100ft above the Firth of Clyde, has been put up for sale by owner James Wilson and his wife Valerie.
The family have looked after the property since 1950, when Mr. Wilson's father met former owner the Earl of Eglinton, who suggested he buy the castle, which dates back to 1502. But now James and Valerie - whose family once owned the Rogano restaurant in Glasgow - admit the castle is too big for them and plan to relocate to a smaller property in Troon.
The sale of the B-listed castle includes three smaller properties. It is set in 28 acres of land and is centred on a three-floor fortified tower, which was once the seat of the Montgomerie clan.
The baronial castle has four reception rooms, two kitchens, a master bedroom and dressing room, six other bedrooms, two bathrooms, two loft rooms and a three bedroom staff flat. It has been substantially altered over the past 500 years, and was partially demolished in 1959 following a fire.
James, who was awarded an OBE for charity work, said: "It was shocking at the time. I ran into the burning building and managed to save a couple of paintings. But with hindsight, the fire was good thing because it revealed a hidden staircase and the fireplace in the lounge, which had been bricked over."
Skelmorlie Castle was originally owned by the Cunninghams before it passed to their arch enemies the Montgomeries. Apart from the Eglintons, the Wilsons are the only family to have lived in the castle and restored it in 1962, when it was subdivided into apartments.
To the south of the original tower lies a Victorian wing, made up of three floors and a basement. It also comes with a keep, caretaker's flat, courtyard, a flatted mews building, a turret building, garden cottage, outhouse buildings and even a laboratory.
Carolyn Campbell, of Glasgow property agents Strutt & Parker, said: "Given that there are quite a few buildings it would probably suit someone who wants to run their own business from home. It has fantastic views and is in an idyllic spot, so it could also be run as an upmarket B&B."
Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:27 AM
A historical baronial castle set in a private location with unrivalled views, 3 further properties and woodland.
Skelmorlie Castle occupies a stunning elevated position about 100 feet above sea level, giving outstanding views across and down the Firth of Clyde. The Castle sits on a steep escarpment rising from a flat field bounding the A78 public road.
Skelmorlie Castle is an historic Grade "B" listed castle, centred around a fortified tower, dating from circa 1502. The Castle has been substantially altered over the last 500 years, being extended in 1856 and then partially demolished in 1959 following a fire. The Castle was restored by the current owners' family in 1962 when it was subdivided into self-contained apartments occupied by different family members.
The original tower is of a simple rectangular plan, constructed of solid stone/harled walls, under a pitched slate roof, to which pepper pot towers have been added at a later date. To the south of the original tower lies a Victorian wing, comprising three principal floors and a basement. The wing is constructed of stonewalls beneath a pitched slate roof and has a central round tower with a crenellated parapet at attic level.
To the east of the original tower is a one and a half storey addition of stone construction, beneath a slate roof. To the west is a single storey construction adjoining the tower to the Victorian addition.
Ground Floor: Vestibule, great hall, dining room, kitchen, rear hall, spiral staircase and W.C.
First Floor: Drawing room and kitchen.
Second Floor: Landing, master bedroom, bedroom two with en-suite bathroom and bathroom.
Third Floor: Two large attic storage rooms
Ground Floor: Lobby, living room open to kitchen, hall, three bedrooms, bedroom four/dressing room with door to bathroom.
First Floor Flat
First Floor: Vestibule, dining hall, sitting room, kitchen, bedroom suite with hall, dressing room, bedroom and bathroom, steps down to mezzanine floor with bedroom two, bathroom and store.
Second Floor Flat
Second Floor: Vestibule, hall, sitting room, kitchen, two bedrooms and a bathroom.
Lower Ground Floor Cellars
Accessed by an external door, steps down to a passage which leads to a boiler room, wine cellar and two store rooms.
The Courtyard lies to the south of the Castle and can be accessed directly from a minor county road. The Courtyard is divided into three flats/offices, garaging and storage. The Courtyard is of stone construction, beneath a slate roof and is divided into three buildings as detailed below:
Mews Ground Floor: Hall, living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, sitting room and bedroom with en-suite bathroom.
The property is currently utilised as an office.
Mews First Floor Flat: Turret staircase, living room, kitchen, hallway, three bedrooms and a bathroom.
An L-shaped building divided as follows:
Ground Floor: Garage, stabling/storage, entrance hall to first floor flat and W.C., two store rooms, passage and turret staircase.
First Floor: Dining hall, sitting room, kitchen, three bedrooms and a bathroom, turret staircase to store room.
A partly roofed building, used for storage, adjoining the Castle to the south.
An attractive stone and slate built property with a timber porch, which overlooks the Castle gardens to the west.
Ground Floor: hall, sitting room and kitchen leading to dining room.
First Floor: landing, two double bedrooms, single bedroom and bathroom
Outbuildings: Adjoining the cottage is an outhouse of brick/harled walls comprising W.C. and store.
The laboratory lies opposite the Garden Cottage and is of a mixture of stonewall and timber cladding, beneath a slate roof. The accommodation, which is in a poor state of repair, comprises:
Lean-to garage/store, one large room and two smaller rooms.
An approach to North Ayrshire Council regarding the development of The Laboratory to create a dwelling house was positively received although no planning application has been submitted.
The outbuildings are located throughout the grounds of Skelmorlie Castle and comprise:
Greenhouses: Three greenhouses of varying construction and state of repair.
Implement Shed: Brick construction beneath a corrugated roof.
Log Store: Timber construction with part corrugated cladding and roof.
Potting Shed: Timber frame construction.
Garden Boiler Room: Brick construction with corrugated roof.
Garage/Store: Timber frame with corrugated cladding.
The formal gardens and woodland provide a superb setting for the Castle and comprise extensive terraced lawns, an orchard and formal gardens. The gardens have been well maintained and enhance the setting of the property. About 14 acres.
Barcapel Foundation Woodland
Lying to the north of the castle is a block of about 14 acres of semi ancient native woodland including Beech, Oak and Birch under planted with dense rhododendrons.
Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:03 PM
(NS 1951 6585) Skelmorlie Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1969)
According to the OSA, Skelmorlie Castle was built in 1502, and added to in 1636. In 1852 it was restored and incorporated into a large mansion. What remained of the old keep and a tower which formed part of the courtyard containing the offices, were preserved. The keep is a simple oblong, 48 1/2ft by 30ft and 29ft high to the eaves.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; Name Book 1856
Skelmorlie Castle (name confirmed by secretary of R Wilson and Sons Ltd). The massive keep occupies the NE corner of this extensive modern mansion. It has been completely restored and is well preserved. An original angle-turret remains, but windows and chimneys hae been added at a later date. The courtyard is now surrounded on three sides by modern buildings. The castle is owned by Lord Eglinton, and leased to R Wilson and Sons (Food Industries) Ltd.
Visited by OS (JLD) 20 September 1956
The castle was partly destroyed by fire and renovated in 1960, the modern mansion has been largely demolished and the old tower restored approximately to its original appearance.
SDD List 1963; N Tranter 1965
As described, and in excellent external repair. The 19th century NW wing is entirely demolished.
Visited by OS (JRL) 28 February 1983
Built 1502. Restored and extended 1852.
Plans of 1864 and 1856 (copies of drawings) additions at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr.
and MacGibbon & Ross
Number of downloads: 109
Number of downloads: 100
Number of downloads: 82
Posted 06 July 2007 - 03:09 PM
Skelmorlie Castle stands on the edge of a tree-covered cliff about five miles north of Largs. It is a red rubble oblong tower, now harled, rising to three storeys and an attic. There are ashlar conically capped turrets on the north-east and south-west angles, the upper level of the supporting corbelling adjacent to the eaves. On the east gable there is an imposing chimney-stack, carrying the kitchen flue. A stepped chimney by the centre of the northern wallhead is also a striking feature.
The original doorway was in the centre of the southern face, the present entrance in the north front being Victorian. The gables are crow-stepped. There is no parapet, though it doubtless had one originally.
The basement has two vaulted rooms, one of which is the vestibule for the Victorian entrance. The first-floor Hall had its kitchen to the east, screened off. The original turnpike stair rose within the south wall. A secondary turnpike stair rises from the Hall level to the second floor, which has two large rooms and a small one in the south-east angle, encapsulating a garderobe.
The castle was built in 15 oz, probably by a son of the second Lord Montgomeric of Eglinton, though its upperworks must have been remodelled about a century later. Robert Montgomerie of Skelmorlic was knighted by james VI and made a Nova Scotia baronet by Charles 1. When Sir Robert's wife, a daughter of Sir William Douglas of Drumlanrig, died, he built for her an ornate mausoleum in the grounds of Largs Old Church. It still survives and is known as the Skelmorlie Aisle. It is sculpted out of Italian marble with much intricate detail. The ceiling of this vault is embellished with symbols ranging from the signs of the Zodiac to aspects of Skelmorlie Castle.
Robert Montgomerie's great-great-grandson died without issue, and the property was sold to Hugh Montgomerie of Busby, Lord Provost of Glasgow. He, too, died without a son. His daughter married Alexander Montgomerie of Coilsfield and their son heired the property as twelfth Earl of Eglinton in 1796.
In recent years it has been the home of the Wilson family. There was a disastrous fire in 1959, which did a great deal of internal damage, but revealed a number of concealed earlier structural details. The castle has, however, been restored.
A large Victorian addition was built on by an earlier tenant, the Glasgow merchant James Graham, in 1852, but this has now been demolished.
Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:51 AM
I've had to split the file, due to its large size.
Number of downloads: 219
Number of downloads: 177
Number of downloads: 155
Number of downloads: 159
Number of downloads: 152
Number of downloads: 157
Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:28 AM
Knights' shields set for auction
Shields created for a 19th Century Scottish jousting tournament which was contested by the future Napoleon III of France are being sold at auction. The trophies were commissioned by the 13th Earl of Eglinton for his three-day medieval re-enactment in 1839. Eight of the original 40 shields, which were found in the attic of Skelmorlie Castle, Ayrshire, are expected to fetch up to £5,000 at the Edinburgh auction.
About 100,000 people are thought to have attended the Eglinton tournament. The event, which cost £40,000, was intended as a display of medieval pageantry. About 150 prospective knights were originally lined up, although only 14 took part.
The shields are being sold by Lyon and Turnbull auctioneers.